Changing the Church.

I have commented several times on John McNeill's thesis that we my be in a 'Kairos Moment' in which the Holy Spirit intervenes to change the direction of the Church.  Against the background of extraordinarily strong reaction to recent statements and actions from the Vatican, and previously unprecedented signs of Vatican sensitivity and response to such criticism, J.S. O Leary on his web page has agreed that the Kairos Moment is with us. It is appropriate then to revisit just what McNeill meant with his suggestion.

The argument was first put forward in an address to the Dignity conference back in October 2005, reprinted in his book "Sex as God Intended" (My review of the book will appear here on Monday 8th). I am delighted that with McNeill's help, I am able to post the full text of the Dignity address here, on my book pages.  Have a read, then consider:  are we experiencing the fundamental shifts in church power that both McNeill and O'leary are discerning?

0 comments: